NOW TAKING APPLICATIONS FOR 2017 SEASON
Position: Seasonal Farm Intern
Type: Full-time internships with room and board, three daily healthy and delicious home-made meals and a small stipend on successful completion of minimum 4-month internship
Organization: Woodwynn Farms Theraputic Farm for the Homeless
Location: 7789 West Saanich R Central Saanich on Vancouver Island, BC
Duration: April 1st – September 30th. NOTE: Shorter term applicants may be considered
Number of Positions: 2 – 4
Application Deadline: Applications accepted until positions are filled
Located on a spectacular piece of land on the Saanich Peninsula on Vancouver Island, Woodwynn Farms is a therapeutic community organic farm for the formerly homeless. Situated on 193 acres the not-for-profit organization called Creating Homefulness Society operates Woodwynn Farms.
At Woodwynn Farms, both collectively and as individuals, we like to think of ourselves not as Masters of the land but rather students of the land. We do not abide by any one specific farming practice (eg. organic, biodynamics, permaculture, natural farming, conventional farming, etc.). Rather, we utilize elements from a variety of farming practices to create what we believe best fits with our approach and with our land.
We get inspiration not only from the land itself but also from past experience, community members, other farmers and from the likes of Masanobu Fukuoka, Joel Salatin, Bill Mollison, Rudolf Steiner, Paul Stamets and Jeff Lowenfels and Wayne Lewis.
All Woodwynn Farms produce is grown non-certified organic and with the upmost care and attention, with an emphasis on no chemical herbicides, pesticides, fungicides, or GMO’s. We believe not only in sustainable practices but also in sustainable produce which is why all our seed is open pollinated. This means we can collect seed to replant the following year’s crops – year after year without compromise.
All of our annual fruit and vegetables are heirloom varieties. We take great care in selecting these heirloom varieties because of their higher nutrient levels, superior taste and to help expand the diversity of available food. And, as a bonus, heirloom varieties are fun to look at with their unique shapes, textures and colours.
About the Internship:
To apply for an internship at Woodwynn Farms Therapeutic Community for the Homeless, you must have a keen interest in experiencing the full farming season, be immersed in the hard work of organic gardening, and be committed to working alongside our clients, wwoofers and volunteers from a wide variety of backgrounds, abilities and worldviews.
- Internship duration: April 1st- Sept 30th
- Standard work schedule: 5 days a week 9:30 am – 5:30 pm. Plus help with meal preparation and clean-up.
- Be committed to your health, eating well, respecting our drug and alcohol free policy on the farm
- Be well grounded
- Be willing to participate in regular on-site community activities such as early morning yoga and daily morning meetings
- Interns will be provided shared housing in camper trailers on the property with access to compost toilets and outdoor showers
- Laundry is available off-site
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Greenhouse growing production
- Permaculture, composting, soil care
- Seeding and transplanting
- Weed management, cultivation, and mulching
- Volunteer supervision for both individuals and work parties
- Market gardening – assisting farm market coordinator with produce sales, stocking shelves and displaying produce
- Harvesting for community meals and farm market sales
- Meal preparation and healthy cooking for the farm community
- Animal husbandry
- Working alongside our program residents and learning together in a cooperative environment
- Other tasks and responsibilities as they arise on the farm
Below is the regular Monday – Saturday daily routine you can expect while interning at Woodwynn Farms:
5:45 AM Yoga
7:30 AM Breakfast
8:30 AM Morning group meeting
9:30 AM Farm community work
12:30 PM Lunch
1:15 PM Farm community work
4:30 PM Tools down
5:30 PM Dinner
Evening free time
Sunday is a day for rest and rejuvenation
Because of the vulnerability of our clients and the society’s commitment to the well being and safety of all who live on the farm, Farm Interns are required to complete a Criminal Record Check and agree to comply with the Farms Community practices.
How to Apply:
Email your expression of interest and your resume to:
Please put ‘Summer Internship’ in your email subject line
Visit Woodwynn Farms:
Would you like to visit Woodwynn Farms before applying for an internship? Please contact us by phone or email. We would be happy to arrange for you to join one of our work parties, give you a tour of the farm or have a one-on-one conversation. The first step is to reach out and contact us.
Thank you for your interest. Please note only those applicants who we think would be best suited for this opportunity will be contacted for an interview.